Catalog Edition Books
Booksmart Studio’s Catalogue Edition Books are printed on our HP Indigo 3050- 6 color digital press, offering the artist a relatively short turn-around time and the luxury of having control over many of the decisions that are not offered through an online press. The HP Indigo we have in-house allows us to work with a 5th & 6th custom color in the press. Booksmart Studio specializes in printing duotone & tritone B&W images utilizing these extra colors. Our in-house ink mixing capability creates an environment were we are not limited to the colors we work with.
The HP Indigo allows for heavyweight, lightweight, smooth, & textured paper to be run through the press. However, the paper must have a special coating that adheres the ink to the surface and does not cause the felt to release onto the printing blanket. Booksmart Studio tends to produce all of our books with the Mohawk line of papers specially coated for the HP Indigo. Another great feature of the HP Indigo is the wide color gamut, as the color gamut is larger than your standard SWOP CMYK coated printing press. Therefore, we ask that you keep your images in AdobeRGB to maximize the color gamut.
Sending Us Your Materials
Booksmart Studio offers two methods for clients to transfer their digital files to us.
Place your files in a Dropbox folder and share the link with email@example.com or use the icon at the top of our website (less secure for your images) for our shared folder.
When sending an InDesign document you MUST package all fonts, images, & page layouts in a single folder. The quickest & most efficient method for doing this is by using the package option. For more help with packaging your files please visit the Tutorials section of our website.
* We remove images from our Dropbox account immediately after they have been downloaded to prevent theft of imagery.
**For larger volume customers we have an application you can install on your computer that will allow you to drop your files into the application window and it will automatically upload the images to our Asset Manager website. Please inquire with Booksmart Studio to obtain this software.
If your files total more than 400MB or you would rather send a formal package, please send your order form & CD/DVD to:
250 North Goodman Street
Rochester, NY 14607
Collecting Book Content
In this first step, you will choose what content is to be included in your Catalog Edition Book.
Now that you have the content for your book, you should consider your audience. Is your book for a select few, or is it for the masses? Think about the format of your Catalog Edition Book, is it small or large? Do you want a rectangular or square book?
Do you already have the perfect design? If not Booksmart Studio can do it for you. We have designers experienced in creating books for every need. Our designers also have an intimate knowledge of our workflow, which in turn can mean less issues down the road.
You have several options when it comes to covers and cover decoration for your Catalog Edition Book. For a preview of these options please check out our cover options page, if you have a question or wish to have a complete list of currently available options, please contact us.
Before the production process of your Catalog Edition Book really begins, you’ll receive an electronic proof for review. This is your chance to have changes made, so be sure to check all of the content for accuracy. Once we receive your signed approval form, we’ll move on to the production phase.
Once we have received Proof Approval, and you have selected your options, it is time to enter the production phase. Your Catalog Edition Book is printed using a high-quality laser printing process on an acid-free paper designed specifically for high quality output. After the printing is completed, your Catalog Edition Book is bound and trimmed to size. The cover, along with any selected decorations, is crafted by hand to insure maximum attention to detail. It is then allowed to set for at least 12 hours to allow for proper adhesion and permanency.
At Booksmart Studio, we produce your Catalog Edition Books in a time frame that meets your needs.
|1 – 6 Books
||6 – 9 Business Days
|7 – 15 Books
||8 – 12 Business Days
|16 – 25 Books
||11 – 14 Business Days
|26 or more
||Call to Schedule
Since Booksmart Studio utilizes state of the art digital technologies during the production of your Catalog Edition Book, there is no need to worry if you will have enough books. We digitally archive all of your files so you can order as many copies as you need, when you need them. Our server utilizes RAID 5 technology to ensure we never lose your files.
If you’re looking to resell your new book, Booksmart Studio is here to help. With our Published Edition Book you’ll receive all of the benefits of our Catalog Edition Book, but with the added benefit of a Booksmart Studio ISBN, along with marketing of your book online. Feel free to contact us for additional information.
Proofs are generally completed within five to seven business days from the arrival of your order form & CD/DVD for Catalog Edition books. If color or file correction is needed, Booksmart Studio will provide each artist with an estimated completion date for proofs. Production Booksmart Studio’s typical turn-around time for catalog edition books is seven to ten business days from the date the proofs are signed off or we receive your waiver of proofs. Please call Booksmart Studio to find out our current timeline before sending your files if your schedule demands an exact turn-around date.
For book projects that are required to be completed in under our normal turn-around of seven to ten business days, we apply a rush service. Rush service is not always available and must be prearranged with the staff at Booksmart Studio, as we cannot delay other deadlines during busy periods.
Rush fee: 35% of total production prior to shipping charges.
All pricing is customized for each project-inquire for an estimate
The following are some example prices for our Catalog Edition books, for custom sizes & a final price please inquire for a quote. Booksmart Studio is not limited to these sizes or page counts, they are for pricing of these common size books. We DO NOT limit your size and page count options!
Clients that design their own files are subject to aprepress fee of $75.00 for the first submission of your project.All client-designed files are reviewed upon their first submission and are subject to a File Review Fee ($50), included in your first quote; The fee will be waived for correctly set-up files. Please use our Preparing Your Files packet for instructions on how to set-up and check your files before you submit them.
5″x7″ 7″x5″ 6″x6″ 6″x8″ 8″x6″
• 30 image pages/10 text pages printed and bound. $42.50
• Replace text pages with image pages in our base pricing $0.75/each
• additional image pages (an image page is any page with any kind of image). $1.00/each
• additional text pages $0.15/each
• colored end sheets $5.00
• Mounted metal image on cover $25.00
• Foil/Blind Stamping-Cover $10.00
• Foil/Blind Stamping-Spine $12.00
• Laminated dustjacket $12.00
• Italian Leatherette cover $25.00
• Asahi Bookcloth $20.00
• Clamshell box $195.00
• Slipcase $85.00
Coffee Table Size
8″x8″ 8″x10″ 10″x8″
• 30 image pages/10 text pages printed and bound. $67.50
• Replace text pages with image pages in our base pricing $1.00/each
• additional image pages (an image page is any page with any kind of image). $1.50/each
• additional text pages $0.30/each
• colored end sheets $7.00
• Mounted metal image on cover $30.00
• Foil/Blind Stamping-Cover $12.00
• Foil/Blind Stamping-Spine $14.00
• Laminated dustjacket $16.00
• Italian Leatherette cover $32.00
• Asahi Bookcloth $23.00
• Clamshell box $215.00
• Slipcase $95.00
9.5″x10.5″ 10.5″x10.5″ 10.5″x14″
• 30 image pages/10 text pages printed and bound. $90.50
• Replace text pages with image pages in our base pricing $1.30/each
• additional image pages (an image page is any page with any kind of image). $2.00/each
• additional text pages $0.60/each
• colored end sheets $8.00
• Mounted metal image on cover $45.00
• Foil/Blind Stamping-Cover $13.00
• Foil/Blind Stamping-Spine $15.00
• Laminated dustjacket $17.00
• Italian Leatherette cover $39.00
• Asahi Bookcloth $27.00
• Clamshell box $225.00
• Slipcase $100.00
10.5″x16.5″ 11.75″x 17.75″ 12.5″x18.5″Base Price
• 30 image pages/10 text pages printed and bound. $110.00
• Replace text pages with image pages in our base pricing $1.75/each
• additional image pages
(an image page is any page with any kind of image). $2.50/each
• additional text pages $0.70/each
• colored endsheets $9.00
• Mounted metal image on cover $48.00
• Foil/Blind Stamping-Cover $14.00
• Foil/Blind Stamping-Spine $18.00
• Laminated dustjacket $20.00
• Italian Leatherette cover $43.00
• Asahi Bookcloth $29.00
• Clamshell box $240.00
• Slipcase $115.00
Panorama Size #1
• 30 image pages/10 text pages printed and bound. $140.00
• Replace text pages with image pages in our base pricing $2.00/each
• additional image pages
(an image page is any page with any kind of image). $3.25/each
• additional text pages $1.00/each
• colored endsheets $13.00
• Mounted metal image on cover $67.00
• Foil/Blind Stamping-Cover $18.00
• Foil/Blind Stamping-Spine $22.00
• Laminated dustjacket $35.00
• Italian Leatherette cover $65.00
• Asahi Bookcloth $38.00
• Clamshell box $250.00
• Slipcase $127.50
• 30 image pages/10 text pages printed and bound. $130.00
• Replace text pages with image pages in our base pricing $1.90/each
• additional image pages
(an image page is any page with any kind of image). $3.00/each
• additional text pages $0.90/each
• colored endsheets $11.50
• Mounted metal image on cover $63.00
• Foil/Blind Stamping-Cover $17.00
• Foil/Blind Stamping-Spine $21.00
• Laminated dustjacket $32.00
• Italian Leatherette cover $62.00
• Asahi Bookcloth $36.00
• Clamshell box $240.00
• Slipcase $112.50
• The sizes listed refer to the page size, the bound hardcover book will be 1/8″ larger on all exposed(non-spine) sides. All measurements are in inches.
• One page is one side of a sheet of paper; there are two pages in a spread.
• A minimum of 40 pages is need to construct a book properly; we have no maximum number of pages per books. However, after 80 pages we round the spine for an additional $20.00 fee. This process creates a more structurally sound spine and book structure.
If you wish to have your book sold in our Booksmart Studio store and Amazon you will have to use Booksmart Studio as your publisher and we will assign your book one of our ISBN numbers. This is what we call our Published Edition Books and fees start at $200 depending on the promotion package you choose.
For an estimate please Request a Quote and remember to add the type of book you are interested in, along with the number of pages, the size of your book and the design details of your book in the comments and details section of the request. We will get back to you with an estimate and guide you through the many decisions of the bookmaking process.
The following swatches are a few examples of a few bookcloths that we use for our book production. We are always open and willing to try new materials that may interest you. New bookcloths always extend the book projects timeline, due to the fact that we must experiment with the cloths’ quality for foil stamping and endurance. Our mid-grade bookcloths are Buckrum, Cialux, & IRIS, while all others are considered high-end bookcloths. The high-end book cloths not only cost more, but are very delicate to work with, which increases the price of the production. We also have a large selection of leatherettes in-house from purchasing bindery materials from a few shops that have closed. Please inquire if you have an idea for a book cloth that you do not see listed here.
The workability of these Japanese bookcloths, combined with the beauty of color and texture, have made them extremely popular for almost all bookbinding and portfolio designs. All colors are paper backed for ease of glue application.
Bonded Leather is a more economical alternative to full hides. This material is made from at least 75% genuine leather and is made to look, feel and smell like fine leather. It is available in five glazed finished colors and matte black.
Cialux is a natural finish bookcloth imported from Italy. It is a lustrous, vibrant, glossy, fast-dyed, natural finish, 100% rayon cloth with a viscose paper backing. Cialux cloth is made from spun rayon yarn, which is composed of short-length filament threads. It is environmentally friendly and exceptionally well suited for covering book covers, catalogs, stationery, diaries etc. This bookclosth is also ideal for off-set printing, screen printing, and hot foil blocking. Cialux is colorfast to water, light and abrasion, and has improved durability over other natural finish cloths.
The IRIS bookcloth is an elegant cloth made of 100% rayon with a silky sheen and excellent durability. It is an excellent all around bookcloth for all types of work and applications requiring a linen feel and brilliant range of colors. This bookcloth accepts both hot foil and blind stamping, offset and screen printing, die cutting and folding.